Back to Soul
formed 1961 in Detroit, Michigan (originally called The Domingoes)
The Spinners - It's A Shame
It should come as no surprise that The Spinners have always made timeless music. Their classic group sound and approach never loses its universal appeal. Throughout the years they have acquired twelve (12) gold records with hits on top of both Pop and R&B charts and they are one of the few groups who can boast of four lead singers. Today, original members Bobbie Smith, Henry Fambrough, and Pervis Jackson are joined onstage by lead singer Charlton Washington, high tenor Harold Spike DeLeon and a soul-infused 5-piece band.
In 1972, The Spinners signed with Atlantic Records and teamed up with producer Thom Bell, setting into motion an amazing recording career. A partial list of their hit singles on Atlantic include Mighty Love, Then Came You, Ill Be Around, One Of A Kind (Love Affair), Games People Play, and Could It Be. In 1979, The Spinners completed their first collaboration with producer Michael Zager, and by early 1980, the single, Working My Way Back to You, was topping Pop and R&B charts giving the group its 12th gold record. The Love Trippin' albums release included The Cupid Medley, one of the fastest selling records in The Spinners career. The follow-up album, Labor Of Love, featured such stand- out tunes as Yesterday Once More, and Long Live Soul Music. With the release of Can't Shake This Feelin', their fourth LP in just over two years, the quintet entered a brand new phase of their remarkable career as they joined the award winning producing/ writing/playing team of James Mtume and Reggie Lucas. Other past releases include songs on the motion picture soundtracks of Twins and Spaceballs, and a single on Arista Records, a duet with Dionne Warwick entitled Then Came You.
The mighty Spinners have six Grammy nominations and have performed twice during the awards ceremony. They received a Black Gold Award from Dick Clark for their many achievements in the recording industry, and they have been awarded the Rhythm and Blues Foundation Award for their contribution to R & B. The group has performed for presidents, received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and has appeared in numerous network and cable television specials paying tribute to the music of the 70s.
Today, this legendary R & B group maintains a full touring schedule, performing for fans of all ages in sold out houses around the world.
THIS IS STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION - I WILL ADD MORE ALBUMS LATER ON!
Essential Spinners album: The Very Best of The Spinners
- The Original Spinners 
- 2nd Time Around [V.I.P., 1970]
- The Best of The Spinners [Motown 11236, 1973]
- Spinners [Atlantic 7526, 1973] with Bob Babbitt plus members of MFSB and The Salsoul Orchestra
- Mighty Love [Atlantic 7296, 1974] with members of MFSB and The Salsoul Orchestra
- New And Approved [Atlantic 18118, 1974] with Bob Babbitt, Casey James plus members of MFSB and The Salsoul Orchestra
- Pick of the Litter [Atlantic 50155, 1975] with Bob Babbitt, MFSB, Dionne Warwick
- Spinners Live! [Collectables 6200, 1975]
- Happiness is Being with The Spinners 
- Yesterday Today & Tomorrow 
- Spinners/8 
- The Best Of The Spinners [Atlantic19179, 1978]
- From Here To Eternally 
- Dancin' And Lovin' [Atlantic 50667, 1979]
- Love Trippin' [Atlantic 19270, 1980]
- Labor Of Love [Atlantic 50777, 1981]
- Can't Shake This Feelin' [Atlantic 50828, 1981]
- Grand Slam 
- Crossfire 
- Lovin Feelings 
- Down To Business [Volt 3403, September 1989] with Andre Williams
- A One Of A Kind Love Affair: The Anthology  2-CD set
- The Very Best of The Spinners [Rhino 71213, April 1993]
- The Very Best of The Spinners [Rebound 520232, April 1995]
- I'll Be Around and Other Hits [Rhino 72672, June 1997]
- Could It Be I'm Falling in Love and Other Hits [Rhino 72673, June 1997]
- Happiness is Being with The Spinners / Spinners/8 [Collectables 6201, July 1998] reissue of their 1976 / 1977 albums on 1 CD
- From Here To Eternally / Love Trippin' [Collectables 6202, July 1998] reissue of their 1979 / 1980 albums on 1 CD
- Yesterday Today & Tomorrow / Labor Of Love [Collectables 6203, July 1998] reissue of their 1977 / 1981 albums on 1 CD
- At Their Best [Intersound 9550, March 1999]
- The Essentials [Warner 76076, July 2002]
- The Chrome Collection [Rhino 73880, July 2003] 3-CD Box set
- The Platinum Collection [WEA 79994, March 2007]
They appear on the following albums:
U.K. visitors looking for Spinners albums? - Canadian visitors looking for Spinners albums?
Looking for Spinners sheetmusic?
The Spinners' Website
Copyright © 2009 Hotburrito