Back to Blues
gutar, harmonica, vocals
born: March 23, 1932 in Bessema, Alabama
Louisiana Red (with Carey Bell, Queen Sylvia Embry, Jimmy Rogers) - No Future (Live at American Folk Blues Festival in Germany, 1983)
The current blues scene in the U.S. and Europe is characterized by a wide variety of styles and musicians. However, as the years go passing by there are fewer and fewer artists left that were active during the formative years of blues music, those who participated in the development of the music.
Thus, it is all the more important and cause for celebration that there are still artists such as Louisiana Red.
Louisiana Red has lived the Blues. And Louisiana Red not only plays the Blues, he lives it through his guitar and his singing. Strongly influenced by Muddy Waters, Lightnin Hopkins and Arthur Crudup, he has long ago found his own voice, his own style, his own form of expression.
When Red performs, the songs are often only launching pad for expressing his immediate feelings in the almost lost tradition of spontaneous composition that goes back to the original Delta Blues artists an even further to the West-African griot bards.
In a career spanning over half a century, Louisiana Red has played with just about every major bluesman you can name, some of the most memorable encounters being his jams with B.B.King and Muddy Waters.
But it doesnt matter who he plays with or where he appears - Louisiana Red brings the same intensitiy and enthusiasm to every stage he appears on, whether in front of 10,000 people at a festival or 100 people in an intimate club.
Louisiana Reds albums have been called masterpieces by critics, and in 1983 he won a W.C. Handy Award as best traditional blues artist. After living in Germany for 20 years, he has made a several triumphant comeback tours in the United States.
But if you ask Red about it, he wont tell you much about his success. Hell much rather talk about his latest CD project, about a new song or a new guitar lick. Because Louisiana Red is constantly creating, always searching für another expression of his blues. For once, the hyperbole ist justified: Louisiana Red is the Blues.
- Lowdown Back Porch Blues [Roulette 25200, 1963] with Tommy Tucker
- Louisiana Red Sings the Blues [Atlantic 33389, 1972] with Napoleon "Snags" Allen, Sidney Barnes, Dave "Baby" Cortez, Bill Dicey, Leonard Gaskin, Tommy Tucker
- Dead Stray Dog [Blue Labor 107, 1976]
- Midnight Rambler [Rhino 70664, 1982]
- Blues for Ida B [JSP 209, October 1994] 1982 recordings
- Always Played the Blues [JSP 240, October 1994] with Jon Cleary
- The Best of Louisiana Red [Evidence 26059, 1995] compilation album
- Sittin' Here Wonderin' [Earwig 4932, October 1995]
- Sugar Hips [CMA 8004, December 1995]
- The Blues Spectrum of Louisiana Red [JSP 803, April 1998] with Dave Bainbridge (Iona), Norman Beaker, James Bell, Lurrie Bell, Steve Bell, Tyson Bell, Jon Cleary, Sugar Blue
- Millennium Blues [Earwig 4943, May 1999] with Willie Kent, Willie "Big Eyes" Smith
- Live in Montreux [Labor 7023, April 2000] Recorded live solo concert in Switzerland 1975
- The Winter And Summer Sessions [Blues Factory 47014, November 2000]
- Driftin' [Earwig 4947, May 2001] with Willie Kent, Willie "Big Eyes" Smith
- A Different Shade of Red: The Woodstock Sessions [Severn 16, May 2002] with Levon Helm and Garth Hudson (The Band), David Maxwell, Jimmy Vivino
- No Turn On Red [HMG 1010, January 2005] with Bob Corritore, Mario Moreno
Louisiana Red and the Chicago All Stars:
- Ashland Avenue Blues [Chrisley 70001, 1992]
Lightnin' Hopkins / Louisiana Red / Sonny
Terry & Brownie McGhee
- The Rising Sun Collection [Just A Memory 11, December 1996] live at the Rising Sun Festjazz (1980, Rising Sun Club, Montreal)
Louisiana Red / Lefty Dizz:
- Walked All Night Long [Blues Alliance 13011, April 1997] 1975 recordings
He appears on the following albums:
Johnny Shines - Too Wet To Plow [Blue Labor 110, 1975]
Marie Knight - Today [Labor 7016, 1975]
Peg Leg Sam - Joshua [Tomato 2696652, 1975]
Blues Queen Sylvia / Jimmy Dawkins - Midnight Baby [Evidence 26057, November 1983]
Brownie McGhee - Rainy Day [Tomato 269610, 1989]
Various Artists - The Great Tomato Blues Package [Tomato 70386, 1989] 2 CD set
Roosevelt Sykes - Music Is My Business [Blues Alliance 13010, September 1990]
Various Artists - Sequel's Blues on a Fuse [Sequel 650, 1993]
Sunnyland Slim - Decoration Day [Evidence 26053, October 1994]
Various Artists - Howlin' the Blues [Blues Legends 1215, April 1995]
Various Artists - Evidence Blues Sampler: Four [Evidence 26058, April 1995]
Various Artists - Earwig 16th Anniversary Sampler [Earwig 4933, November 1995]
Champion Jack Dupree - Walkin' the Road [EPM 157712, February 1996]
Peg Leg Sam - Early In The Morning [Blues Alliance 13003, May 1996]
Brownie McGhee - Blues Is Truth [Blues Alliance 13008, May 1996]
Various Artists - Born with the Blues [Indigo 2057, May 1996]
Various Artists - Blues on Fire [Easydisc 9007, January 1997]
Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee - Going It Alone [Blues Alliance 13012, April 1997]
Carey Bell - Brought up the Hard Way [JSP 802, March 1998]
Roosevelt Sykes - Music Is My Business [Charly 8223, July 1999]
Various Artists - The Blues Anthology [Pegasus 198, July 1999]
Kent Cooper - The Blues & Other Songs [Labor 7036, September 2002]
Various Artists - An Introduction to the Blues: 60 Blues Guitar Greats [Castle Music 91630, January 2003] 3 CD set
Albert King - Blues From The Road [Fuel 2000 061318, July 2003] 2-CD set
Chief Schabutti Gilliame - Snakes Crawls at Night [Random Chance 17, March 2004]
Kent Cooper - The Blues & Other Songs, Vol. 2 [Labor 7044, 2004]
Various Artists - American Music: The Hightone Records Story [Hightone 8195, September 2006] 4 CD Box set
Steven Seagal - Mojo Priest [Hypertension 7253, February 2007]
Wentus Blues Band - Agriculture [Blue Light 33136, April 2007]
U.K. visitors looking for Louisiana Red albums? - Canadian visitors looking for Louisiana Red albums?
Henry Gray and the Cats: Live In Paris [Lucky Cat 1001, 2004]
Looking for Louisiana Red sheetmusic?
Visit Louisiana Red's Website
Copyright © 2009 Hotburrito